Applicants can satisfy our testing requirement with one of the following. This applies to both domestic and international applicants:
- The redesigned SAT (The essay section of the SAT is optional).
- The ACT (The writing section of the ACT is optional).
Standardized testing is optional for all applicants with U.S. military service.
American citizens or U.S. permanent residents applying from domestic community colleges, junior colleges or two-year colleges are permitted to apply without submitting SAT or ACT scores. However, these applicants fare better in our admission process if they do submit the results of those tests. For the 2021-22 admission cycle, transfer applicants who do not fall into the above categories who have not previously been able to take a standardized test may also apply.
Sending Official and Self-Reported Test Scores to Brown
- If you attended secondary school in the United States, Brown will review your application with either official test scores sent directly to Brown or self-reported test scores on the Common Application or via your Brown Applicant Portal.
- If you attended secondary school outside the United States, we ask you to both self-report your test scores on your application and have official test scores sent directly to Brown.
- Admitted Transfer students who choose to enroll at Brown will be required to submit official test scores by June 15.
Resubmitting Scores to Brown
If you applied to Brown for freshman admission in the past and you wish to use the official test scores that you submitted with your prior application, then you do not need to resend those scores.
English Language Proficiency
English language proficiency must be achieved before a student is admitted. Brown does not offer courses in English as a Second Language for its undergraduates and does not accept, on a provisional basis, students who are deficient in English. We highly recommend international applicants take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) and arrange for Brown to receive the official results. A TOEFL score of 600 or above on the written exam or 100 or above on the internet-based exam, or an 8.0 on the IELTS, is expected in most cases. As your safety is our first concern, we do not expect you to sit for any of these examinations in person. For 2021-2022, we will accept the results of the Duolingo examination, as well as the results of the TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition or the TOEFL ITP Plus for China. We do not currently accept the IELTS Indicator Examination.
NOTE: Testing requirements for transfer applicants in the 2021-2022 admission cycle remain consistent as they are detailed here, and all students applying in the 2022-2023 admission cycle or later should plan to submit an SAT or ACT score as part of the application process.