Applicants can satisfy our testing requirement with one of the following. This applies to both domestic and international applicants:
- The redesigned SAT (The essay section of the SAT is optional).
- The ACT (The writing section of the ACT is optional).
Standardized testing is optional for all applicants with U.S. military service.
American citizens or U.S. permanent residents applying from domestic community colleges, junior colleges or two-year colleges are permitted to apply without submitting SAT or ACT scores.
However, these applicants fare better in our admission process if they do submit the results of those tests. Per year Brown typically admits three or fewer transfer applicants who have not submitted the results of either the SAT or the ACT.
Sending Official and Self-Reported Test Scores to Brown
- If you attended secondary school in the United States, Brown will review your application with either official test scores sent directly to Brown or self-reported test scores on the Common Application or via your Brown Applicant Portal.
- If you attended secondary school outside the United States, we ask you to both self-report your test scores on your application and have official test scores sent directly to Brown.
- Admitted Transfer students who choose to enroll at Brown will be required to submit official test scores by June 15.
Resubmitting Scores to Brown
If you applied to Brown for freshman admission in the past and you wish to use the official test scores that you submitted with your prior application, then you do not need to resend those scores. Please send an email to [email protected] requesting that we use your prior scores.
English Language Proficiency
English language proficiency must be achieved before a student is admitted. Brown does not offer courses in English as a Second Language for its undergraduates and does not accept, on a provisional basis, students who are deficient in English. We highly recommend international applicants take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) and arrange for Brown to receive the official results. If you are applying to Brown from a country that does not provide access to SAT or ACT testing centers, you are required to submit the results of the TOEFL or the IELTS when you apply. A TOEFL score of 600 or above on the written exam or 100 or above on the internet-based exam, or an 8.0 on the IELTS, is expected in most cases.