Applicants can satisfy our testing requirement in one of two ways:
- SAT (The essay section of the SAT is optional.)
- ACT (The writing section of the ACT is optional.)
Standardized testing is optional for all applicants with U.S. military service.
Beginning with the Class of 2025, Brown will no longer recommend the submission of SAT Subject Tests. If submitted, Subject Tests will be considered as part of your application. Students who have not taken the Subject Tests will be at no disadvantage in Brown’s admission process.
Early Decision Applicants
Early Decision applicants should complete all required testing by the October test date. All Early Decision applicants should have test scores submitted prior to the November 1 deadline.
Regular Decision Applicants
Regular Decision applicants should complete all required testing by the December test date. All Regular Decision applicants should have test scores submitted prior to the January 5 deadline.
Review Brown's English proficiency requirements for international students.
Institutional Code Numbers
To have scores sent to Brown, you will need to provide our institutional code numbers:
- For the SAT, Brown's code number is 3094
- For the ACT, Brown's code number is 3800
Sending Official and Self-Reported Test Scores to Brown
- If you attend secondary school in the United States, Brown will review your application with either official test scores sent directly to Brown or self-reported test scores on the Common Application or via your Brown Applicant Portal.
- If you attend secondary school outside the United States, we ask you to both self-report your test scores on your application and have official test scores sent directly to Brown.
- Early Decision admitted students will be required to submit official test scores by February 1.
- Regular Decision admitted students who choose to enroll at Brown will be required to submit official test scores by June 1.