Application Checklist for First-Year Applicants
Application Checklist for First-Year Applicants
- Early Decision application deadline - November 1 (11:59 p.m. applicant's local time).
- Regular Decision application deadline - January 2 (11:59 p.m. applicant's local time).
- Complete your application via the Common Application.
- Brown’s Supplemental Essays are submitted through the Common Application.
- Application Fee of $75 or a Fee Waiver.
- If you are applying to the eight-year Program in Liberal Medical Education (PLME) or the five-year Brown|Rhode Island School of Design Dual Degree Program (BRDD) you must complete the special program essays.
- Transcript. An official copy of your high school transcript must be sent by your school counselor or school official.
- School Report. The School Report form is available through the Common Application website and must be completed and submitted by your school counselor or school official.
- Midyear School Report. Your midyear school report including final grades for fall courses and a list of your spring courses can be submitted online through the Common Application. This report is due February 21.
- Counselor Recommendation. Please note that the School Report and Counselor Recommendation are separate items on the Common Application. Be sure to “invite” your school counselor to complete both items.
- Two Teacher Evaluations/Recommendations. Two letters of recommendation from teachers who have taught you in major academic subjects (science, social studies, mathematics, a foreign language or English) must be submitted through the Common Application or sent via mail, email or fax. Material sent by mail, email or fax should include the applicant's name, date of birth and high school. If sending letters by email, please send as a PDF attachment.
- Science or Math Recommendations. If you are considering a concentration in a STEM field, or the Program in Liberal Medical Education (PLME), at least one of your recommendations should come from a math or science teacher. In addition, we highly recommend that applicants to the PLME program submit results from at least one science SAT Subject Test.
- First Quarter/Trimester Grades. Early Decision applicants are required to have their counselor submit first quarter or trimester grades as soon as they are available.
- SAT or ACT. Applicants can satisfy our testing requirements with either (1) the redesigned SAT (the essay section of the SAT is optional.), or (2) the ACT (the writing section of the ACT is optional).
- SAT Subject Tests: We recommend, but do not require, the submission of two SAT Subject Tests of your choice. Strong Subject Test scores can be a positive piece to include with your application to Brown. The absence of scores will not disadvantage a student, particularly in cases when financial hardship prevents students from registering for the tests, or for those who may have found Brown too late in their college search to register for the Subject Tests. If you are applying to the Program in Liberal Medical Education, we strongly recommend one Subject Test in either biology, chemistry or physics.
- If you attend secondary school in the United States, Brown will review your application with either official test scores sent directly to Brown or self-reported test scores on the Common Application or via your Brown Applicant Portal.
- If you attend secondary school outside the United States, we ask you to both self-report your test scores on your application and have official test scores sent directly to Brown.
- Admitted students who choose to enroll at Brown will be required to submit official test scores by June 1.
- If you are accomplished in music or visual art, you may include additional supplements with your application in the Common Application, through SlideRoom. You do not need to wait for access to your Brown Applicant Portal to upload material to SlideRoom.
- Please note: SlideRoom only accepts one submission; if submitting two, you will need to sign up with a second email account.
- When submitting through SlideRoom, you must create your SlideRoom account on or before November 1 for Early Decision and January 2 for Regular Decision. The Early Decision material submission deadline is November 8 and Regular Decision material submission deadline is January 8.
- Early Decision application deadline: November 1 (11:59 p.m. applicant's local time)
- Early Decision letters available online: Mid December
- Regular Decision application deadline: January 5 (11:59 p.m. applicant's local time)
- Regular Decision letters available online: March 26
- Commitment deadline for Regular Decision candidates: May 1
Important Notes When Submitting Documents
- Applicants should submit the majority of their application using the Common Application website.
- All official documents, including High School Transcripts, the School and Midyear Reports, Teacher Recommendations, and the Counselor Recommendation must be submitted to the Office of College Admission by the institutions or parties that created those documents. Official documents can be submitted by email to [email protected], by fax to 401-863-9300 or by mail to Office of College Admission, Box 1876, Providence, RI 02912. We cannot accept official documents that have been mailed or emailed to our office by applicants themselves.
- After your application has been received, the Office of College Admission will send applicants a username and password that they can use to check the completeness of their application and upload optional supplementary material.
- Due to processing time, it is likely that any document received by our office will not be entered into our application database until a week after it has been received. If you have recently submitted a document, please understand that it may take a week or more before it is listed on your application account as having been received. We will email you to let you know if any required documents are missing from your application file.