Application Checklist for First-Year Applicants
Application Checklist for First-Year Applicants
Submit Your Application
- Early Decision application deadline - November 1 (11:59 p.m. applicant's local time).
- Regular Decision application deadline - January 3 (11:59 p.m. applicant's local time).
- Complete your application via the Common Application.
- Brown’s supplemental essays are submitted through the Common Application.
- Submit the $75 application fee or a fee waiver.
- If you are applying to the eight-year Program in Liberal Medical Education (PLME) or the five-year Brown|Rhode Island School of Design Dual Degree Program (BRDD) you must complete the special program essays.
Request School Forms
- Transcript. An official copy of your high school transcript must be sent by your school counselor or school official.
- School Report. The School Report form is available through the Common Application website and must be completed and submitted by your school counselor or school official.
- Midyear School Report and Transcript. Due February 24 or as soon as possible upon the completion of your first semester or second trimester of your final year of high school, the Midyear Report and Transcript can be submitted online through the Common Application by your guidance counselor or another school official. The Midyear Report includes information such as your GPA and class rank (if your school provides this information), and shares with us whether there have been any course changes or other updates since you have submitted your application. It is accompanied by a Midyear Transcript that includes your most recent available grades. If you are not given midyear grades or evaluations (e.g., home schooled students, some non-U.S. schools), please include a note explaining your circumstances under the “Additional Information” heading on the writing section of the Common Application.
- Counselor Recommendation. Please note that the School Report and Counselor Recommendation are separate items on the Common Application. Be sure to “invite” your school counselor to complete both items.
- Two Teacher Evaluations/Recommendations. Two letters of recommendation from teachers who have taught you in major academic subjects (science, social studies, mathematics, a foreign language or English) must be submitted through the Common Application or sent via email or fax. Material sent by email or fax should include the applicant's name, date of birth and high school. If sending letters by email, please send as a PDF attachment.
- Bachelor of Science and PLME Recommendations. If you are considering a Bachelor of Science degree or the Program in Liberal Medical Education (PLME), at least one of your recommendations should come from a math or science teacher.
- Final School Report and Transcript. Due by June 22 for students who have chosen to matriculate at Brown, the Final School Report and Transcript should be submitted online through the Common Application by your school counselor or another school official. The Final School Report confirms your graduation date and alerts us of any course changes or other updates. The Final Transcript will include your final grades and confirm your successful completion of your secondary education.
- First Quarter/Trimester Grades. Early Decision applicants are required to have their counselor submit first quarter or trimester grades as soon as they are available. All applicants should have their school submit midyear or second trimester grades as soon as they are available.
- Early Decision Agreement. Early Decision applicants are required to complete the Early Decision Agreement form through the Common Application. This form requires the signature of the applicant, parent/guardian and school counselor. Submitting this agreement confirms your commitment to enroll at Brown if admitted Early Decision.
- For first-year applicants in the 2023-2024 admission cycle, Brown will maintain our test optional policy. More updates and information can be found on our Standardized Tests webpage.
- If you are accomplished in music or visual art, you may include additional supplements with your application in the Common Application through SlideRoom. You do not need to wait for access to your Brown Applicant Portal to upload music or visual art materials to SlideRoom.
- When submitting through SlideRoom, you must create your SlideRoom account and submit your material on or before November 1 for QuestBridge Match applicants, November 2 for Early Decision, and January 6 for Regular Decision. All QuestBridge-affiliated applicants submitting a music and/or visual arts portfolio(s) should use the QuestBridge program(s) in SlideRoom; this includes QuestBridge College Match finalists who did not match with a college in the fall but are using the Questbridge Application to apply through Brown's Regular Decision process.
- We cannot assist students with issues submitting their supplements unless they have created an account in SlideRoom and started their portfolio by November 1 (for QuestBridge Match applicants), November 2 (for Early Decision) or January 6 (for Regular Decision applicants). Creating a SlideRoom account and starting your portfolio well before submitting your material is strongly recommended to ensure that you are able to meet the submission requirements.
- Early Decision application deadline: November 1 (11:59 p.m. applicant's local time)
- Early Decision letters available online: Mid December
- Regular Decision application deadline: January 3 (11:59 p.m. applicant's local time)
- Regular Decision letters available online: March 30
- Commitment deadline for Regular Decision candidates: May 1
Important Notes When Submitting Documents
- Applicants should submit the majority of their application using the Common Application website.
- All official documents, including High School Transcripts, the School and Midyear Reports, Teacher Recommendations, and the Counselor Recommendation must be submitted to the Office of College Admission by the institutions or parties that created those documents. Brown has partnered with slate.org, through which counselors may upload materials directly for applicants. Official documents can be submitted by email to email@example.com or by fax to 401-863-9300. We cannot accept official documents that have been emailed or faxed to our office by applicants themselves.
- After an application has been received, the Office of College Admission will send the applicant a username and password that they can use to check the completeness of their application and upload optional supplementary material.
- Applicants with updates that they would like included in their applications are instructed to upload any new information directly via the Brown Applicant Portal. We are not able to accept updates via email.
- Due to processing time, it is likely that any document received by our office will not be entered into our application database until a week after it has been received. If you have recently submitted a document, please understand that it may take a week or more before it is listed on your application account as having been received. We will email you to let you know if any required documents are missing from your application file.
- Please do not submit duplicate documents unless we let you know that a required document is missing. If an item has been sent electronically, there is no need to mail a duplicate hard copy. Receiving multiple copies of the same item can slow material processing time.