Undergraduate Admission

By March 1 transfer applicants must have submitted the Transfer Common Application and the application essay questions specific to Brown. 

To be eligible for transfer admission you must have completed at least one full year of college study (or its equivalent) before your planned matriculation at Brown. Both part-time and full-time students at accredited two- and four-year colleges may seek transfer admission.

University rules stipulate that anyone admitted as a transfer must be enrolled full-time at Brown for at least four semesters prior to earning their undergraduate degree.  For this reason we discourage (but do not forbid) transfer applications from students who will have accrued more than four semesters of college work prior to their enrollment at Brown.  We only admit transfers with more than four semesters of completed college work in rare circumstances.

High school students who are currently pursuing a dual enrollment program or an early admission program should apply to Brown as first-year applicants.

Generally speaking most liberal arts courses taken at other colleges and universities are transferable to Brown.  More specifically, Brown will transfer credit for courses at other colleges that are similar to courses offered in our own curriculum.  If you are wondering which of your classes may receive credit you should peruse Brown's online Course Search to see if the University offers a similar course.  Brown will not award transfer credit for correspondence courses, online courses, courses taken during summer programs, or for courses that were taken as part of a dual enrollment curriculum.  Brown also will not award transfer credit for AP test scores. University courses that the pandemic necessitated be taught remotely will still be considered for transfer credit in the same manner as in-person courses. Any courses that were taken remotely due to the pandemic will not negatively impact chances of admission or transfer credit.

The University will not evaluate transferable credit prior to acceptance.  Transferable credit is determined after a student enrolls.  When an applicant is accepted, their acceptance letter will include information about the semester level at which they will enter (first-semester sophomore, second-semester sophomore or first-semester junior), but the number of transferable courses will not be determined until the College has access to an admitted applicant's final college transcript (typically in the summer for fall admits, or winter for spring admits) before they enroll.

The application deadline for transfer admission is March 1. You will receive a decision in early May.

If the transfer application fee constitutes a financial hardship we will accept a signed letter from an official at your current college as a fee waiver. The letter should be sent to Brown’s Office of College Admission by a dean, academic advisor or financial aid officer at your current college. The letter should be on your current college’s letterhead, it should be hand-signed by the college official and it should explain, briefly, why the application fee constitutes a financial hardship.

We offer limited financial aid for transfer applicants and are need-aware when making decision on transfer applications. Students who feel that they may require financial assistance during their time at Brown should apply for financial aid when they make their initial application for transfer admission. Please visit the Office of Financial Aid website for more information regarding financial aid at Brown.

Brown is test optional for transfer applicants through the 2022-2023 admission cycle, meaning that test scores are not a required component of the transfer application this year. If you would like to include test scores for review in your application, testing must be completed by February to ensure receipt of scores. You may use your Brown Applicant Portal to self-report test scores that were not included on your Common Application. More information on our standardized testing policies can be found on our website. While not required, a test of English proficiency is highly recommended for international applicants.

If you wish to use the official test scores that you submitted with a prior application, then you do not need to resend those scores. If you would prefer that we not consider scores that have previously been submitted to Brown, please let us know in writing by emailing transferapp@brown.edu.

If you are accomplished in music, you may include additional supplements with your application in the Common Application, through SlideRoom. You do not need to wait for access to your Brown Applicant Portal to upload music to SlideRoom.

When submitting through SlideRoom, Transfer material submission deadline is March 15.

Please note: SlideRoom only accepts one submission; if submitting two, you will need to sign up with a second email account.

Transfer candidates must submit two instructor evaluations from faculty who have taught you at your current college. (We will accept evaluations from TAs who have been your instructors.) These letters must be submitted through the Common Application or sent via email to transferapp@brown.edu or by fax to 401-863-9300. Material sent by email or fax should include the applicant's name, date of birth and high school. Letters sent by email should be sent as PDF attachments. If there are not two faculty members or TAs from whom you are able to request an evaluation, you may replace one of the required letters with a recommendation from a teacher from your senior year of high school.

In addition to an official transcript showing courses in progress, you must submit an official transcript(s) and final grades from all previous college coursework. If necessary, an interim unofficial transcript of current work may be submitted. However, a final and official transcript will still be required before you are permitted to enroll at Brown.

We require that you have your high school mail us an official copy of your final high school transcript.  We recommend, but do not require, that transfer applicants also have their high school counselor send us a completed copy of the Common Application School Report.

We require that your high school send us an official copy of your high school transcript.  We recommend, but do not require, a copy of your Final Report (which is typically completed by your high school counselor).

The Transfer Application, Instructor Evaluations, College Report, Mid-Term Report, College Transcript, Final High School Transcript and appropriate standardized testing results are all required. While we may evaluate an application with missing credentials, the most competitive applications will be from those who have submitted all required materials.

We require an official high school transcript regardless of where you attended high school, and we require that the official transcript be sent to us either by your original high school or by your current college.  We will not accept transcripts that are sent to us by an applicant directly. We recommend that you ask your original high school to send us a Final Report as well, but it is not required.

No. Interviews are not offered for transfer applicants.