The Office of College Admission works with faculty and staff across the academic departments to ensure that students interested in attending Brown can observe the Open Curriculum in action.
The list of courses available for prospective students to observe during Spring 2020 is now available. Please note that visitors are not permitted to visit courses which are not listed on the approved class list. Parents are kindly asked not to attend classes with their child(ren).
Because Brown University faculty kindly allow guests the privilege of observing their classes, we ask that prospective students follow these guidelines when they visit a class:
- No reservation or advanced notice via email is required in order to observe a course. However, you should plan to arrive to the class ten minutes early to let the professor know that you will be observing. If the class is a large lecture, it is not necessary to introduce yourself.
- Stay for the entire duration of the class. If, however, there is a break during class, you may kindly excuse yourself if you need to leave.
- Turn off and put away all cell phones, laptops, and other electronic devices for the entire duration of the class.
- Unless you are explicitly offered permission by the professor to participate in the class, refrain from participating in order to allow the flow of the class to continue as usual.
- Review the Conflict Dates column in the class list PDF before you attend a class. This section lists dates that you are not permitted to visit certain courses, and any action you might need to take before visiting certain courses.
We sincerely hope you enjoy your campus visit!