Undergraduate Admission

Visiting Student Program

Each year a limited number of students enrolled at other colleges are permitted to spend one or two semesters at Brown pursuing areas of study not otherwise available to them. The courses these students take at Brown are then applied toward credit at their home institutions.

In the selection of visiting students, in addition to traditional admission criteria, we are particularly interested in the candidate’s motivation for seeking visiting student status. The applicant should have a strong record in all college work to date and must be able to present a specific academic reason for studying at Brown. Prospective visiting students should be familiar with the offerings of the University and must indicate on their applications the specific courses of study in which they would like to enroll.

Your decision to apply to Brown as a visiting student should be made only after you have thoroughly examined your academic and personal needs and Brown’s ability to meet them. You should also keep the following facts in mind:

  • There is no financial assistance available from the University for visiting students except for those in exchange programs with special financial arrangements.
  • Visiting students are expected to live in on-campus housing.
  • Enrollment in some courses may require the permission of the instructor.

Admission as a visiting student is granted for one semester and may be extended for a maximum of two semesters. Visiting students may not apply to transfer into the college. This program is not intended to lead toward degree candidacy at Brown.

Visiting Student Application Process